In 1975, the National Society of Critical Care Nurses (NSCCN) based in Toronto, a Chapter of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN), was established. On February 27, 1979, a group known as the Niagara Association of Critical Care Nurses (NACCN) was formed. The NACCN changed its name in 1981 to the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses (CACCN). In 1983, the NSCCN and CACCN existed as separate associations. During 1983, the two groups merged into one as the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses (CACCN), adopting the logo of the NSCCN. During the first year the new association operated with a Co-President structure consisting of the Presidents of the NSCCN and the original CACCN. While membership began with a heavy base in Ontario, national representation took off with the merger of a strong Manitoba critical care group. As a result of this merger, CACCN introduced additional chapters across the country.
CACCN consists of seven (7) directors elected by the membership.
- Two (2) Directors from each of the three (3) Canadian regions: Eastern, Central and Western, and one (1) Director at Large (who may be from any of the three regions).
- Board members may serve two (2) terms of two years with the exception of the President and Vice President who may serve longer dependent on date of appointment.
- The Board appoints three (3) Directors to offices of the Corporation:
- Additionally Directors are appointed to two National Committees:
- Conference Advisory
- Member Relations
- Partner Relations
- Professional Development
- Financial operations are the responsibility of Executive Committee – President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer and the Board of Directors
- Communications are the responsibility of the Chief Operating Officer
- The Board of Directors is supported by the Chief Operating Officer (COO), who is also a defacto member of the Board of Directors. The COO is the only CACCN employee and is responsible for the day to day operations of the Association.
- The fourteen (14) CACCN Chapter Presidents report to the Board of Directors
- Each chapter requires a chapter executive consisting of the following positions and a minimum of ten (10) chapter members to remain in good standing:
- Vice-President / President-Elect